Friday, November 04, 2005

PROFILE (semi-long version)

The "about me" part of the profile only allows 1200 characters(?). So here is a copy of the profile I used on my yaFro photo blog site:


Born April 21, 1934, in Othello, Adams County, WA. Went through grades 1 thru 8 at the Smyrna School, Smyrna, Grant County, WA -- one room, eight grades, eight to fourteen students, depending on the year. I "farmed out" to my great Uncle Jim to attend Leavenworth High School from 1948-1952. Immediately after graduating, I moved here to the coast and went to work at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard as an apprentice naval pipefitter and steamfitter. In '56 I married my 1st wife and we produced Kelly, Erin, and David. As soon as I could manage it, I left the "tools" behind and became an Engineering Technician in the shipyard's Design Division, where I worked and prospered for about 37 years and then retired in 1989 at age 55. Since then I have served as "office staff" in my wife Kay's business as a mental health counselor (bookkeeping, banking, billing, and fighting with insurance companies). Kay and I married in 1968 and have had a long and illustrious career together. That's the nuts 'n bolts. The fun parts are more varied. First I got into pottery (easy credits at Olympic College) and even had a show of my work in the O.C. Gallery. Then I followed Kay into Community Theatre, where I directed, stage managed, designed sets, etc., for maybe a decade. Then came my photography period, with a couple of "shows", a few sales, a minor award, and one book cover from a New York publisher. Next (1987), I got deeply into paleontology with brother Neil and we dug a large hole in the ground between Othello and Smyrna. In about six years we recovered identifiable bones of over 75 vertebrate creatures from three million years ago. I wrote and published a "paper" in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontolgy (1995) (describing a new species of extinct antelope that we had uncovered [pieces of]). Now I chase extinct ancestors
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?