Monday, January 16, 2006

'SONG OF THE BLACK HORSE'


Near the end of my paper, 'Three Views of Spain', I came across this poem I wrote 23 years ago as an homage to Federico Garcia Lorca.


SONG OF THE BLACK HORSE

Amargo's black horse
gallops on skulled hooves;
jaws lined with little knives
that catch at the moon.

Galloping. Always drumming, drumming.

Under the dark saddle
of Estrella's pelvis
he marks the sweep
of night's advance.

Galloping. Always drumming.

Empty eyes, hollow belly,
moving drum of death
beating on the earth
slowly, steadily

galloping. Always.

Death horse, horse of death:
Empty skull, hollow legs
drumming, drumming,
drumming the earth.

Galloping.

Always.

Drumming, drumming.


....by FossilGuy, 15 November 1983
.........Illustration: Pen and ink by FossilGuy (1983)
Comments:
Very Lorca sounding.I'm posting my own Lorca poem Wednesday,it's not Lorca-like it just has Lorca's name in it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?