Tuesday, February 28, 2006

She's OKAY!


Dr. Bookworm and myself spent most of yesterday enjoying the staff and environs at Harrison Memorial Hospital - Silverdale. I delivered her to the "one day surgery" area at 8:00 AM and they immediately whisked her off behind STAFF ONLY doors. No one came back out to instruct me about anything, so I took the elevator up one floor to my appointment with my retinal eye surgeon at 8:20 AM (two weeks ago he gave me a shot of steroid medication in the left eye and I was back to see if it worked). I went through the eye chart, eye drop, eye pressure drill ... and after a long wait, they took a new 'picture' of my retina. A successful treatment! But I'm to stay on the boostering eyedrops for six more weeks.

By 9:20 AM, I was back in the one-day surgery waiting room and almost immediately a staff person popped out and brought me in to where brave, brave Bookworm was swaddled in warm blankets with IV drips .... a little admitting nurse scuttling around tending to her .... a hospital 'rep' was chatting her up and following her through her hospital experience .... a personal friend recovery nurse looked in on her ..... and all was warm and convivial.


However, the Physician had forgotten he'd scheduled surgery for Monday morning and was tolerably late arriving on the scene. The factory 'rep' (for the proposed implant device) called and informed the Doc that he was hung up in Wenatchee and couldn't get there. Our Doc was undaunted and proclaimed "I can do this alone!" [This is the same 'Cowboy' that heroically reduced my softball-sized prostate to the size of a small walnut a few months ago -- while proclaiming that he alone had the skills and experience to do such a thing. He is not troubled by false humility.] At 10:30 it appears that it is all a go and I retreat to the waiting area with the hospital 'rep', where we swap stories till she has to leave at twelve to take her daughter to an eye appointment. Bookworm seemed to think it was a thirty minute procedure, one of the nurses told the hospital 'rep' that it was more like an hour and, so, at 12:10, alone in the waiting room, I was getting very antsy about what might have gone wrong, when friend Jan the recovery nurse stiff-armed the doors open and announced "It all went fine. She's out now and someone will come get you in a bit."


By 12:25, I was back at the side of brave, brave Bookworm who was dying of thirst, but couldn't decide which of the nurse's liquid offerings to request ... so I decided "Apple Juice". Cowboy Doc showed up and ran us through the operational procedures for the device, which is still mainly external. If the device does the job, they will do the actual, final implant next Monday. Bookworm is now wired for sound, has her own personal plug-in and is resting easily and waiting for me to go rent 'Capote' and 'Siriana' for her recuperative enjoyment.


The above photo was taken a few minutes ago and proves she's in jovial health.

Comments:
Dear Doctor and Gentleman FossilGut - Procedurally speaking, you two take the cake.
I'm glad all went well.
sending love.

bs


By the way - never use the words "eye pressure drill" again.
I finally figured out what you actually meant, but by then a hideous picture had formed in my mind's eye and now I can't get it out!
 
Sending you both healing thoughts...much love, na
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?