Monday, October 22, 2007

Things I almost forgot about my Dad


The picture above was probably taken about 1921 -- my Dad and his baby brother Donald.

I was thinking about my Dad a couple weeks ago when I suddenly remembered that he could play the harmonica. Then I recalled an evening when a stranger stopped by the house. A stranger with a concertina. He sat in our railroad house living room and played a bunch of tunes. And before he quit, Dad got out his harmonica and accompanied the fellow on a couple.

I remembered that, although Dad didn't seem to be any sort of a singer, he could yodel cowboy style.

I remember that on rare occasions he would travel 'up the line' to the railroad house at Corfu where he would play a mysterious card game named 'Pan' with a group of mostly Greek railroaders. Pan was mysterious to me because of the great stack of cards that occupied the center of the table ... many, many decks of cards shuffled together.

I remembered how my Dad could skate backward and do figure eights.

And I remembered how he once stopped the car after traversing a rain shower, and let my brother Neil and I race away through the sagebrush, chasing a rainbow for its pot of gold. Everyone should get to do that at least once in a lifetime. At least once.


Comments:
Lovely memories of your Dad.
 
Jim,

I also have the memory of dad being able to play the harmonica, and was wondering if it was something I made up or was real. Glad to hear you verify that I did not make it up.

David
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?