Wednesday, May 31, 2006

"Such a disappointment...."

Bookworm remarked over dinner this evening that it was such a disappointment to keep accessing my Blog only to find that I haven't put up a new posting. I am going to resist suggesting that I am the most prolific poster of this particular little group of mainly otherwise engaged Blogettes. Besides which, dinner was a serving of Weight Watchers Santa Fe Beans and Rice served on a bed of shredded lettuce. And I ate an hour before she got home from work. So, if you were flirting with thoughts of candlelight and veal cutlets, you would have been far, far off the mark. A 'bed of lettuce' - in my kitchen - refers to a heap of shredded lettuce that covers the whole plate to a depth of 1/2" to 3/4". This is like a push-up bra for skinny little servings of anorexic diet food.

We watched the Forty Year Old Virgin yesterday. It came highly recommended by Bookworm's clients and fellow churchgoers. We saw another film a few weeks back, also highly recommended, that I am not allowed to express my opinion of, so I will spit all my venom at the Forty Year Old Virgin. It was an eye-roller .... a sexist garbage can for the collection of frat boy off-color material. When the lead plods across the opening credits in profile, in his underwear, with a Long John Silver boner as his figurehead, you know you are in the cinematic Black Swamp of Doom. It tried to be cute and was not. And now I'll shut this paragraph down because I see that I may be headed for yet one more politically incorrect observation.

Safe Subject: The ever-present grandson. Sayer of cute things. Inventer of a constant stream of reasons why he should stay home from school. Today he informed me that there were vampires in the backyard, waiting to attack the house ... and that he was holding them off by peddling along on Bookworm's Exercycle .... THEREFORE, he could not go to school because if he quit peddling, the vampires would attack.
For the first summer in four years, I'll be getting some respite from my daycare duties. He is going to be going Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to a real daycare with other children ... and not at my expense. This will be good for him. An only child who spends most of his waking hours with his grandpa, does not develop good social coping skills. He doesn't know what to do once in the play environment, or how to sustain the play process. So - despite his initial enthusiasm - he tends to migrate out to the periphery of whatever's going on. This will be good for him and for me.

I'm enjoying my new camera.

On the 16th of June, Bookworm and I will celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary. We will celebrate with a dinner at the new Anthony's Restaurant in renewed downtown Bremerton ... and not our usual trek to La Fermata.
Comments:
Well, hey there! Wh'ddya know? You created a new blog! I loved your words on The 40 Year Old Virgin, because - as you know - I didn't like it, either. I longed for Peggy Lee to appear in our living room, singing "Is that all there IS?" Bla. The fact that I decided to take myself off to bed three minutes before the show's end tells me I really didn't like it. I have just finished a book by Oliver Sachs. This time a book about the non-hearing. How well he writes. How much I love him.
And you,
Dr. Bookworm
 
You are indeed the most prolific of this little group of mostly women--Blogettes as you called us. We do, do try, but alas, we cannot keep up with you, Oh Great One.

Isn't it irritating when you have a great picture to accompany your blog of the day, and the SYSTEM won't let you have it? Tre' bluck!

Glad you are watching the blog of my daughter. It's good to know that my grandson saw some sort of light--like the open door ushering him out!

The 40-Year-Old Virgin was very disappointing especially since Steve Corell was nominated for an Oscar for it! Good grief! What passes for good acting these days? I like him in The Office. He is brilliant in that and it's smart.
 
Finally!

bs
 
P.S. I wanna know what
the other movie was that you saw and did not like??

bs
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?