Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I am needing a haircut ....


The leaves are 'turning'. Long nights are coming. Neither Bookworm nor myself are fond of the winter season. Our one cross-country ski trip to Montana (many years ago) was our singular gesture towards winter-shaped activities. A winter-shaped activity - in my view - is any enterprise where you go out into the cold, dampish world and cause your unguarded body to exceed your God Given speed limit.

So today I am going to get a haircut. It will not ward off the advance of winter. BUT! When I have a fresh haircut, I look like I'm going faster than I looked like I was going before the haircut. A good ten mile per hour difference. So I can stand still on a pair of skies and look like I'm going cross-country at 10 MPH. I think. Maybe.

Actually it's a vanity thing having to do with looking as young and spiffy as possible on an evening when Dr. Bookworm is hosting the KUUF Worship Committee monthly meeting. Mostly 'ladies', I believe. Therefore, as a valued property of Dr. Bookworm's, I need to appear as though I were still gaining in value.

Actually, it's just that I'm overdue for a good clipping. And Gary (my barber) needs to make a living. And I am part of that scenario. He has been cutting my hair for maybe a quarter of a century. And today he does it again. Takes ten years off my 'look'.

'Actually' is one of Allie's favorite words [surely you didn't think I would write a whole post without mentioning him?]. When he returned to us Tuesday morning, he came proudly bearing his ticket from the Corn Maze out t'wards Silverdale. And I remarked, "So your Mom took you to the Corn Maze, ay?"
"EC-chewely it was Muu-Muu. EC-chewely it was my Mom's Mom."
This morning he arrived with an alien monster embedded in the flesh on the backside of his right knee.
"EC-chewely, Grampa, it is so little it can not be seen with the naked eye."

Allie does not use contractions when he speaks.
Comments:
You are sooooo funny!!! The haircut making you look as though you are going faster....Hilarious!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?