Tuesday, August 29, 2006

GONE FISHIN'


Okay! Not a very apt title or illustration if you approach it literally. I do not fish. I have fished in the far distant past, but that was largely a mistake. Fishermen lie about everything. And especially about how much fun it is to fish. 'Angling,' they call it ... that's the attitude your bored and dozing off body takes just before you topple over ... the angle .... and then you hit your head on the bait can.

Here I am using the term 'gone fishing' to denote 'vacation', 'out to lunch', 'taking a break', etc.,. Or being lazy. Or otherwise distracted. Summer is a prime photography time, so I put more effort into my photo site during these few sunny months.

Back to fish. I may be playing into the hands of the Intelligent Design folks here, but I feel (in my Heart of Hearts) there were a number of things that God did not intend for us to eat and so he concealed them beneath a goodly layer of water. Those things he did intend for us to eat were four-legged and stuck up above the weeds where we could see them. And hunt them.

Where am I going with this? I don't hunt either. I have hunted. It was considerably more exciting than fishing. I went deer hunting with my first father-in-law and I got 'my buck'. Quite a rush! But then the gory process that followed (dressing out the deer) put me off my feed and out of the hunting business.

Hunting, as a way to supply the dinner table, was not an activity engaged in by my family of origin. That is probably because anything you shot or caught and thought to consume, had damn well better be presented to my mother in a pan-ready condition. Civilization, to her, meant never having to pluck feathers or gut fish ... or any other similar activity. She could roast a mean turkey though.

I'm dying here! Thought maybe if I just started rattling on, something would come to me. And it hasn't.

It is good to see Bookworm and Boy having such a good time at the Swim and Tennis Club. They are both the sort to bob around in the water for hours on end. I'm sure it will be a great additional & memorable bonding experience for the both of them.
Comments:
Well Jim, thanks for posting something new here. Not a failed effort, and you forgot to mention that you also hunted birds. I remember you trying it at least once with some shotgun, maybe a 20 gauge? If there is such a thing? And maybe you were down by that rock along the creek a mile or so below the house.

I think we are just not much of a hunting family, at least not for things you would cook and put on the table.

Nice fish in the photo, by the way. That is how fish should be, either that or swimming free in the water. It is just how it should be. You can deny Intelligent Design if you want, but you just can't escape its reality.

I have not been doing much photo stuff at all the last year. Too much work to do being a home owner and growing all the flowers and garden.

David
 
Dave --
I did have a 20 guage single shot with a crooked stock and I shot a couple chukars up on the hillside between the store and Shroms. I tried to hand them over to Mom, but she gave me the evil eye and said she'd cook them if I plucked and cleaned them. I think I just tossed them out into the brush.
 
How did you feel about that article in the paper about the kids shooting the cougar up on Green Mountain? I was mad! How dare anyone suggest we should be shooting cougars?! We have seen deer and a coyote and rabbits in our yard this summer, looking for water. I can't conceive of shooting at these creatures. If I saw a cougar I'd just stay in the house and let the neighbors know to watch out. We had a bobcat in one neighbors yard a few weeks ago, again probably looking for water. We've pushed them out of their habitat--rotten reason to think we can kill them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?