Tuesday, March 28, 2006

STALKING THE WILY SMILEY-FACE COOKIE



Aleister and I drove up to Poulsbo this morning to retrieve a silver bracelet from the Blue Heron Jewellers, a silver bracelet that had been duly engraved with:
Kay Morgan, Ph.D.
UIL - 2006
As we were leaving the house, Allie was fumbling around in one of his coat pockets and muttering something about 'a note'. He finally pulled out a folded index card addressed to Grandpa Jim and with the written instruction 'Get a cookie at Sluys Bakery.' So, all the way up to Poulsbo I hear this repetative litany:
"Grandpa, first we get the cookie. Right?"
"Grandpa, we go to the bakery first. Deal?"
...and other variations on the theme.
We parked in the big parking lot by the park and headed up to the main drag.
"Grandpa, it's across the street, right?
So I'm thinking this kid is not unacquainted with Sluys Bakery .... and we.re motating up the sidewalk (having crossed the street) and I'm looking for the bakery and not seeing it yet ... when Allie points out a big gold thing hanging off the top of a store coming up.
"Grandpa, that's a pretzel!"
And it was. Stylized to be sure, but a giant pretzel decked out in gold paint.
We went in the shop and he immediately spotted a bright yellow smiley-face cookie that met his desires. I bought a snickerdoddle for myself and we retired to a bench on the opposite side of the street, seated ourselves and "cookied up."
He is a pleasant companion .... with a tendency to engage shopgirls in neverending conversation.

Comments:
It's nice to think of you and your grandson tooling around Poulsbo, stalking the giant cookie. I sure wish you had been MY grandpa - - I know I would have tons of great memories and lots of good stuff to dream about, from long ago.
Dr. Bookworm
 
Since he will never be my husband or my grandpa, I guess I will have to remain contented with appreciating all that is good (grampa-ish and otherwise) about the fine Master FossilGut...
which is a lot, and so takes up a great deal of my time.


bs
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?