Friday, February 03, 2006

What's In a Name?

-- FossilGuy --
FossilGuy: One who collects and studies fossils; one who is old enough to be a fossil.
I think I qualify on both counts ... although ... Brown Shoes inadvertently renamed me 'FossilGut', which implies a fossilization of the mid-section only, HOW-SOME-EVER, I don't believe her underlying concept holds water as my mid-section is the only part of me that continues to experience growth ... a scientific obviousity that falls into the Unfortunately True catagory.
There actually are fossils in my past. Many are in the Burke Museum at the U of W, but a few still junk up one of our spare bedrooms (AKA offices). Here are a couple 'scans' I did this morning: one is of a group of horse leg and foot bones; the other is a hyena pre-molar compared to the pre-molars in a Bengal tiger jawbone. These bones are from the Columbia Basin of three million years ago and represent the North American horse which was migrating to Asia and the Asian hyena which was migrating into North America. This single pre-molar was the only evidence of Chasmoporthetis (hyena) that I found, but was important in that it is the oldest known trace of the 'hunting hyena' found on this continent. This suggests that there was an Ice Age in progress at near that time and that the oceans were low enough to uncover the 'Bering Land Bridge' across the Arctic to Asia.

Comments:
oh wow... how cool to have fossils laying around

my husband and I recently toured La Brea tar pits in LA... who knew that lions once roamed the US of A...
 
I love fossils. As a child I used to collect Native American arrow heads and fossils. I lost track of it as I got older, though.

I've always had a facination with fossils.

John
 
oh fossilgut
you KNOW how I feel
about dem bones and teeth...

bs
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?