Sunday, April 29, 2007

Weathering the Sunshine

Our new backyard deck is prepared for company. One might say the sun was out, but the temperature probably never hit 60 degrees and there was a small, disturbing breeze flitting about.

However, the guests were fearless and as determined to sample the new deck furniture as Bookworm and I (were). Everyone brought out sweaters and light jackets and Bookworm even wore a blanket over her lap.

Steve began the eating festivities by getting a plate of hors d'oeuvres into circulation.

Katy keeps the hors d'oeuvres moving. These were especially good and I believe I ate five of them myself .... which blunted my appetite for the dinner to follow. I still have a good appetite, BUT am having a little trouble adjusting to the fact that it takes a much smaller amount of food to make me feel 'stuffed'. I'll have to learn to pace myself differently. Settle for two hors d'oeuvres, rather than two plus three more. Learn the joys of denial.

Mary Ellen seems to be contemplating the food and I notice that she provides a lot and eats not so much.

Here Bob is in deep thought ... trying to come up with a wry wittism to satisfy Bookworm's prognostifications (see her pre-dinner blog post).

Bookworm surveys that which she has wrought and is pleased.

And last, but not least, here's Himself, FossilGuy, assembler of the Four Cheese Lasagne (recipe from Cook's Illustrated) that waits in the kitchen for its trip into the new oven (a birthday gift from daughter Kelly).
I am losing energy fast here, so I'll leave it to Bookworm to speak to the meal and its high-points. Tomorrow I will have my first chemo-therapy session at 8:00 am. Bookworm has her own physical therapy session at the same time, so Bob and Mary Ellen will appear at our door at 7:30 tomorrow morning. Bob will drive me to my appointment and Mary Ellen will stay here with Aleister and see to him getting on the school bus at 8:45. That's the Plan!








Comments:
Nice pictures of the Dinner Party/Beach group and Yourself, the Venerable Fossil Guy. The deck is very photogenic. How was the 4-cheese Lasagne?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?