Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Equisetum arvense; Common Horsetail


(I found this amazing patch of horsetails yesterday while I was doing some photo shooting at Old Mill Park in Silverdale, WA)

Got a postcard from 'Mom' today ... dated April 5, 2006, Isle of Skye, Scotland. Down at the bottom it says "See you after the 10th." So perhaps she's home from the Scotland Adventure with her mother and oldest daughter. The postcard is a picture of Glencoe ... where the Campbells slew the MacDonalds. I remember that place from when I was in Scotland 35+ years ago. I didn't make it to the Isle of Skye. We got to the ferry on a Sunday and discovered that it didn't operate on Sundays. Woe! So - 'Mom' - get on your blog and tell us about it.

Grandson Allie, like a lot of only children when playing alone, has a tendency to address remarks to the air in front of him. I was in the kitchen this morning, making his breakfast, when I overheard this: "I am NOT a pipsqueak - well, maybe - NO! I'm NOT a pipsqueak! I'm a vicious animal!"

When I brought him his food (English muffin with a round of Provolone cheese and a round of Canadian bacon), I asked who had called him a pipsqueak. It was his school nemesis and chief competitor through two years of pre-school and now in kindergarten.

A disturbing imbalance where one President can face impeachment proceedings for giving a young lady a toke on his personal cigar and the next President faces nothing after lying his socks off to send our Nation to war ... and ordering the leak of classified information as a means to harrass one of his in-country non-supporters. I think this speaks to the sorry state that the Democratic Party has sunk to ... ineffectual, unorganized, useless as cigars on a boar.

I got my new natural gas furnace installed and it's running so fine, but on the downside, Federal funds have been taken away from the National Theatre of the Deaf and it is fighting a losing battle to stay in existance. Bookworm and I attended a performance of the N.T.D. in Seattle some twenty to thirty years ago. It was a wonderful theatrical experience. I suppose we needed the money for Iraqi peace-keeping purposes.
Comments:
Fantastic picture of the sole descendant of giantic fernlike plants that ruled the earth
200 million years ago.
As a gardener, I despise this plant, because there's NO getting rid of it - yet, I admire it greatly for exactly the same reason.

bs
 
I keep waiting for the country to get really, truly angry about what is happening, what has happened, but it seems I will just go on waiting. I love all your political comments throughout your blog, by the way. East Texas is conservative Bush country, so people who are "subversive" enough to disagree with the current administration are few and far between. We band together here in this rabidly right wing community like shipwrecked survivors clinging to the wreckage. But we're out there, even in Fundamentalist Land. It's just that our numbers are small (and how could they not be growing, I ask?).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?