Monday, April 17, 2006

He is ris.......


This has not been a good weekend for the business of dieting. The 'Doctoral Party' for Bookworm (on Saturday night) at Ann and Jan's was a gastro-gusto experience from the salad through the salmon and fluffy corn flounce to the wrap-it-up dessert. Good wine (good whiskey), a gathering of good friends, good food and good conversation .... formula for a great evening.


So we skimped on Easter breakfast and took grandson Allie to the services at the Kitsap Unitarian-Universalist Fellowship (and the subsequent indoor - due to the rain - egg hunt). Turned out to be one of those 'inter-generational' services where the kids stay thru the whole thing .... which, in this case, was seventy minutes of worship service hardly aimed at the six year old level. If it were a movie, I would give it two stars ..... one for not going eighty minutes and one because no one went into a coma (that I'm aware of). Allie was very well behaved throughout. At that age, I would not have been.

At 6:30 that morning, I'd put a five pound picnic ham in the slow cooker ... on a bed of baby carrots and sliced parsnips, with a mix of apple juice, Dijon honey mustard, and apricot preserves poured over it all. A couple friends came by at 5:00 pm and we served it up with salad, buns, Italians green beans and mashed Yukon Gold potatoes. Plenty of wine. Vanilla ice cream for dessert with Frangellica liquor poured over .... and coffee.

Bookworm got on the scales today. I didn't. Maybe along about Friday -- just before we head for the ocean with Allie.


Comments:
The meals and fellowship all sound like just what they should be -- wonderful. And I got a good giggle (a lot of alliteration for an anxious anchorwoman, eh?) out of your description of your Easter service. Mine was perfectly lovely, the stuff of my childhood. Really. I felt all in touch with my spiritual self again. My kids will remember the organza dresses and chocolates and pennies in plastic eggs, but for me it was all about my higher power. --Zoe
 
fluffy corn flounce...
what is this????

bs
 
BrownShoes:
I'll see if I can get the recipe for this .... I'd like to make it myself.
 
Always a feast, eh? I remember that from my childhood. Good Unitarians loves to eats...yes, theys do.

As for another dog, no not at this time. We want to give ourselves some space to sleep, recover, and travel a bit, though we are tied down by the remodel at this point. It would be easy to run right out and fill the void with a pup, but we're going to sit with the empty place for awhile and then discuss our options later on.

Perhaps cats...I miss cats in my life.

We'll see.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?