Sunday, May 07, 2006

So how's the diet going, you ask?

Okay, so you didn't ask. I can hardly imagine anything so uninteresting as another person's diet. Unless, of course, it was on TV and incorporated a race for a million dollars. I confess to having got caught up in that in the past.

The inexorible upward creep of weight - my weight, to be precise - has become a real shackle when it comes to enjoying things like the ocean beach trips. A touch of asbestos in the lungs, forty-eight years of serious smoking, and forty unnecessary mid-line pounds all join ranks and work to prevent me from taking long walks on the sand and other pleasureable forms of extended exercise.

So I came home from the annual Ocean Eat Out looking like FossilGuy before (see photo below) ... at 221.6 pounds. Bookworm and I started out on an "eat half" diet as soon as we got home ... or maybe a day or two later. The diet was conceived as eating half portions of the things we normally eat ... but (for me) has evolved into a diet of 1/2 cans of soups and/or chili, 80 calorie tubs of flavored yogurt, and most suppers of low cal Santa Fe Rice and Beans on a bulky bed of shredded lettuce. With medium hot salsa added. An apple or a 100 calories snack pack of Pringles - or both - to ease me through TV Primetime.



It is working. Slow, but sure. Creeping in a downward arc. Between six and seven weeks have passed since I began this. This morning I weighed in at 205.8 pounds .... just shy of a sixteen pound loss. That's a little over two pounds a week. See FossilGuy after below. Okay, not spectacular yet but headed in the right direction.



I thank you for your attention, if attentive you have been. If not, I totally understand why not. This is painfully boring stuff. But enduring pain often builds character. Or serial killers.
Comments:
Good going, Fossil Guy! You look great! 16 pounds is, dare I say, substantial.

Keep up the half work!
na
 
"But enduring pain often builds character. Or serial killers."
Ha ha ha... that shouldn't be as funny as it is.
You look very well FG - now can you please do something about our administration?

thank you.

bs
 
The Half-Diet sounds like the smartest way yet to lose some extras! I think you should write a book, but then I've always thought you should write a book!
 
Old Fossil, there is no need to reduce the amount you eat to lose weight. Go buy Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live, book, and do what it says. I am doing it, but only partially. I have lost maybe 10 lbs in 8 weeks. But I do it mostly because I think it is healthier eating, I am not wanting to lose much more. I am down to 165 now, from about 205 when I retired 2+ years ago. It is not about how much you eat, or counting calories. just what you eat.

I also recommend "The China Study" as a good read about nutrition and diet.

I am also walking about 3 miles a day with a friend. Not sure how much that might help, but it makes me feel better.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?