Tuesday, June 20, 2006

They are a changin' ....


The problem with change is that it never stops. Michal is heading off to New Zealand. Rachel flew back to South Dakota to do whatever it is she does in South Dakota. Jessica graduated into Middle School this past week. FossilGuy may be headed for a summer with major time off from grandson daycare. Erin is putting out 'job feelers' to other colleges. But for this one brief moment, we all huddle together to get ourselves recorded digitally (above photo by Bookworm). And I wonder 'when' and 'if' we five will ever be gathered together again in one place.

Whatever. They are all gone home now and we can sneak back into our set routines and diets and TV programs. I enjoyed the weekend. My son David showed up at the graduation party and told me he decided to come only after I left him a phone message and said I was going to be there. I appreciate that. Michal said she would miss us and it would be strange not to be with us for Christmas (and she was gorgeous all day). I appreciate that. Rachel and Bookworm and I dined at the Azteca on Saturday night after the long drive home from Ferndale. Rachel entertained us at dinner with her hilarious impressions of South Dakota. I appreciate that. Jessica and I had lunch at the Azteca (again!) yesterday and it was an enjoyable time together and she ate heartily. I appreciate that.

Aleister is doing his final school day at Brownsville Elementary today. And now we'll see how the summer shakes out in regards to giving grandpa a break. I'd appreciate a break.
Comments:
your life sounds busier now than it was when you were just a dad. am i right? sounds fun too.
 
C. J. ---
It seems busier now, but that may just be an illusion that creeps in as my memories of the 'good old days' get dimmer. I am more personnally involved with my grandchildren now than I was with my children when they were school age ... but back then I was working forty-eight to fifty-six hour weeks and wasn't around much to invest time with them. Now I'm sorry that it worked out that way. But that's life --- and one of the reasons why a grandparent is a distinctly different critter than a parent.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?