Monday, June 12, 2006

Reaching Goals

In the continuing saga of my reduced caloric intake diet, I have reached a goal of sorts .... this morning I weighed in at 20 & 1/3 lbs less than when I started around the end of March. The real 'super goal' is only 1 & 1/4 lbs away. That will be the point where my weight, as read off the digital scales, will NOT begin with the numeral 2. What better way to celebrate than to post some photos of really fine ingredients displayed in the Public Market in Seattle.



First a Copper River King salmon to lay out upon the grill...


....and some tender spears of Eastern Washington asparagus, lightly steamed and shot with butter and lemon juice ....


.... and for dessert, a cold, crisp slab of watermelon straight from the frigid waters of the well pond.

Way back when I was a boy and lived in a Milwaukee Railroad company house, we had an icebox and a small icehouse where big blocks of ice sat buried in sawdust and slowly shrank away to nothing as summer hit its hottest. The icebox was not big enough to hold and chill the watermelons we consumed. So we would pump cold water out of the well into a small wellpond and float a half dozen watermelons in the pond. There were some U.S. Army Airforce bombing ranges a tad bit north of us and the maintenance crew would make it a habit to stop by for a ration of cold watermelon from our pond. Then they would delight us (kids) by geting out their rifles and doing target practice on sagebrushes near the top of the mountain to the immediate south.


Comments:
I remember the icehouse in our town - I loved the dim light, the huge blocks of ice in sawdust - and the casual force with which the iceman hooked the blocks with his wicked tongs...
Thanks for your lovely memory
(and for prompting mine as well).

bs
congrats on the loss of lbs.
 
Memories abound...lightning and ice. Not a bad title for a poem or a short story.

You have inspired me with your weight loss and I got on the scale today after scaling back this past month. 5 pounds down. Nice, very nice. Another 10 for me.

Here's a carrot juice toast to you!
 
Indeed, your memories and loss of pounds are inspiring. I am trying to get to a number that does not include a 50 and am 4 lbs away. The big 60 in my number was too scary! Amazing how numbers can scare, isn't it? After getting past the 50 I'm heading toward the number that contains a 30!
 
You really do take lovely photographs, FossilGuy. And you're a bona fide "word painter," as well. Wonderful stuff.

Good news on your diet. I've been focused on physical fitness of late, which is a bigger battle for me than it used to be... I have always walked, but sweated? Ick. But it must be done! Don't care if the jeans get smaller, but the flesh IN the jeans might be a little less jiggly, I admit...

You're a born sensualist. Copper River Salmon? Tender aspargus spears? Cold, crisp watermelon? Get me a fork! --Zoe
 
Zoe ....
Thanks for the compliments. Good cooking ingredients are easy to wax ecstatic about.
I got a lot of unexpected exercise yesterday. Went with grandson Allie on his Brownsville Kindergarten Field Trip to the Beach. This entailed hiking about four blocks downhill from the school, then down a steep driveway, through a carport, across a back yard, and down a steep 65 wooden steps to the beach.
And then the drizzle let up and the sun came out and I had to trek back to the school to get my camera out of the car trunk. So I had to make the climb out twice. Wheezing for air. Not good.
 
brown shoes --
Our icehouse served two families through the summer months (the two railroad families). As the ice blocks were dug out, the excess sawdust was heaved out the door with a scoop shovel. So there was a growing mound of sawdust there by August. We could clamber up onto the building's roof from the backside and one of our favorite summer 'games' was leaping off the icehouse roof into the sawdust pile .... over and over and over ....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?