Sunday, May 27, 2007

Past Lives


[click on me to make me bigger]
I really do miss those family get-togethers we used to have at my folk's home in Smyrna and (as with this one) later on in Royal City. They were always large ... with the ranks bolstered by both paternal and maternal relatives and old friends from the 'slope' and the 'valley'. Food was plentiful and sumptious and sometimes there would be homemade ice cream. There would be anniversaries, retirements, and birthdays centered around my parents -- and, eventually funerals. Then the house was sold and the meeting place lost and we have not gathered again in this new century.
The picture above was taken in the summer of 1974 when my Dad retired from the Milwaukee Railroad after a lifelong career as a Section Foreman. At the far left is a glimpse the shiney new roto-tiller we got him to help him ease into retirement. At the right I am kneeling behind Bookworm and daughter Erin, with daughter Kelly looming over me. Standing in back, centered on the tree trunk, is Mom, then Dad (moving right), brother David, Kelly, Dave's wife Babe, sister Norma's husband Buzz, brother Neil (with a beard), and Neil's son Steve. To the left of Mom are brother Eric, Grandma Galena Belle, Eric's wife Bev, and my sister Norma. Directly below Norma is her daughter Kismene and, moving right again, son Chris and two more daughters. And Kevin. Far left seated is sister Doris with cousin Kathie Roach behind her and Kathie's Mom behind her. And Neil's daughter third in from the left on the ground in the yellow shirt. It just gives me pause. So many neices and nephews not even born yet. No grandchildren of my own yet.
Now all these old folks are gone, we young adults are crowding into our sixties and seventies, and the 'kids' are having a few grandchilrdren already. Even with the deaths, the ranks have swollen larger and larger .... and if the family seems to be shrinking, it is only an illusion created by a lack of a geographical center where we might congregate and make contact one more time. We are legion!

Comments:
I love all your tales of "the olden days", and the fact that you have photos to illustrate them.
So much of my own family history is a mystery - so I imagine it must be wonderful to be able to look through your collection of old pictures, revisiting your history one captured moment at a time.
If I had to pick one quality of yours that I prize above any other, it would have to be the lovely way you carry the past along, informing now with then.

So glad that you survived week 2 intact - thinking of you daily,

bs
 
Jim,
Visiting you and your parents in Smyrna is one of my best memories. I use the petrified rock you gave me while I was at your house, to hold down the pages of whatever book I am reading while I eat, here in Bisbee.
 
Who is that very tall man on the left, with the white hair? Relative? If so, he passed the tall genes to Kelly and Erin.
 
No, not a relative. Some friend of my folks ... but I don't know him. My kids got their height and build from their maternal grandfather's family.
....FossilGuy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?