Monday, May 14, 2007

Dead Mothers' Day


FossilGuy with Mother, ca November 1934
Dead mothers get pretty short shrift on the Sunday celebration. So I am naming the Monday following Mother's Day as Dead Mother's Day.and hereinafter follows a short Dead Mothers' Day tribute to my own Dead Mother. I almost referred to her there as 'my own dear Dead Mother', but though she was many things, I'm not sure that the word 'dear' fits her. My Dad may have called her 'dear' from time to time. He may have. I don't recall it, but life is full of things I don't recall.
I remember my mother with great fondness .... as a woman who saw to it that I never missed a meal, never went hungry, never had embarrassing holes in my trousers, and never got punished for something I didn't do. She enforced the work assignments; ie., bringing in buckets of water from the well, hods of coal from the coal shed, armloads of wood from the woodpile, chunks of ice from the icehouse, washing or drying the supper dishes and that very work intensive time, the Summer Canning Season. She was slow to criticize, but quick with the switch or belt at any sign of 'disrespecting your elders' .... which included any and all forms of 'backtalk'. She was a good country cook and could make divine lemon meranque pies and divinity (white candy). She was a coyote trapper, a mother of six, a rockhound, a storekeeper, a postmaster, a gardener, and after retirement became a skilled candy maker (chocolates, etc.). And one of her greatest delights was to sit late at table with a handful of her visiting kids and listen to them tell tales from their versions of their childhood.
Happy Dead Mothers' Day, Mom!

Comments:
This is a fine use for a Monday - and a holiday I can really get behind!
I salute your dead mother: she must have done many things right because you, FG, are a lovely man.

Thanks for the opportunity to salute my own dead mother - she of the lovely hands and the discerning eye...I believe we are closer now that she is 'blinded by the light'

bs
 
I remember your mother with great fondness, too. For years I thought she was cold and snitty. And then we began hugging. And I felt her warmth. She loved you so much. She was proud of you. I think it might have helped if your Dad had called her "dear" or "Darling" but he probably did in the early years. I think "darling" is better than dear. She didn't end up looking like a darling, all those years of burning sun and cigarettes made her wrinkled, like Georgia O'Keefe. I think she loved me, too. It's good to think about her. Thanks, Cowboy. You're a heck of a good son.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?