Saturday, June 23, 2007

Deck Days


There's been a nice stretch of 'deck days' this past week ... where the temps have played hide and seek with 70 degrees. Some sissy-poo early morning coffee drinkers have to cower under a blanket -- but I'm not naming names here. Again, that first week after Chemo #3 was a bugger, but by the following Sunday morning I was chugging back to (what I now call) normal. Found son David (Oak Harbor) sleeping in his truck out on the edge of the lawn. Around mid-day, daughter Kelly and grandson Morgan (Woodland, CA) arrived to cook me a Father's Day dinner.

Then the shit began to fly! Mostly Kelly's fault. The high-pitched squealing noise from the drier offended her California sensibilities and she issued a verbal papal bull regarding its next day replacement. Then, when she tried to check her e-mail on our dial-up modem computer, papal bull #2 came down regarding our getting a high speed internet connection -- pronto plus. So she gets on the phone to Qwest and orders up a DSL connection and a technical-guy to get it going (by Thursday).

Meanwhile, David has taken on the project of placing the flag stones (or flag bricks) under the little set of steps leading off the deck .... creating a stable grassless landing area. He done good. It looks just as fine as I imagined it.

Then I drag reality onto the scene and remark that should we wander off to Lowe's on Monday morning and buy a new washer and drier (because they advertise next-day delivery and installation), there might be some access issues due to the fact that the 'laundry room' is a repository of squirreled-away things, second only to the chaos of my office (called the Bone Room). Kelly and Dave set about to create a new reality in the laundry room. When they were done, you coulda parked a motorcycle in there and nine big, green garbage bags were lurking on our front porch .... soon to become sixteen when Kelly's enthusiasm led her and I to tackle the BONE ROOM along about Tuesday morning. And I thank Jim Chapin for coming by on Wednesday and trucking it all off to the dump.

I can't finish this blog right now because I have not had my morning coffee. So I will have to come back later and do 'Deck Days, Part II'.
Comments:
"Sissy-poo", huh? I think you would go outside to sip your morning brew if you lived in Nome, Alaska. We are "Smarty poos", for preferring the well known comfort of HEAT. Ah well, you have always loved to sit outside in the a.m. and sip and stare. And I like to see you doo it.
 
Wow! That Kelly gets things done, doesn't she? What a girl/woman! New clothes cleaning appliances, a clean laundry room, a clean Bone Room, a new kitchen stove! I want her to come spend some time at MY house!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?