Sunday, July 08, 2007

49 Tons 0f No.9 .....


No. It is not the Coalminer's Daughter. It's the once and future Bookworm, PhD. I think friends and clients alike might be surprised at the gusto with which she once wielded a pick at the Fossil Boys' dig site out there in the Columbia Basin. The long shadow stretching west and the jacket-vest suggest to me that I took this shot about 8:00 AM on a brisk May morning (1990 per the date on the back of the pix). Ahhhh .... those were the days! Days of sunrise at the digs with a thermos of coffee and giant cinnamon rolls from a QuikStop gas station. Listening to the coyotes yipping their 'good mornings' to each other. Flights of Canada Geese and Sandhill Cranes and Airforce Cargo Planes overhead. Wondering what exciting bone might sneak to the surface on this particular day.

As I've mentioned, granddaughter Rachel is here ... or was here ... yesterday. She went to Seattle last evening to have dinner with an old friend. But then was apparently telephonically besieged by one parent and/or another about her plans for her 22nd birthday (today) and has subsequently evaporated into the geographical mists. It would be safe to speculate that she's still in Washington State. I hope.

There are issues bobbing on the surface of this section of the River of Descendants. Control issues. Parental grips that refuse to relax and let the young lady get on with making her own way. Rachel is fine. Bright. Articulate. Funny. Conversational. Helpful. Tidy. Generous. And employed. That may be a trait or two more than I had going for me when I turned twenty-two. That was the year (1956) that I got married the first time, drove a '53 Chevy Bel-Air, and became the father of a baby-in-waiting. If my parents had any surviving control issues or bon mots of advice that late in the game, they had the good grace to keep them to themselves.

I'm into my week two recovery period.
Comments:
Hey, Fossil Guy! It's always totally amazing to see you re-emerge! I wish people could see you do it - it's like a great Godzilla movie - you think he's gone, you think he's drowned, you think he's so wounded by so many darts, guns, whathave you that he'll never emerge again - - AND THEN - HERE HE COMES! Tidal waves! Head thrashing! Arms and legs MOVING this way and that! At full capacity once again! That's you when you re-emerge! It's a beautiful thing to witness!
 
Speaking of beautiful things...I love the photo with right leg forward with a right arm swing. Talk about head thrashing and arms akimbo. It's amazing you could stay standing.

Here's to more full capacities!
 
At 22 I was having my second baby, didn't know how to drive yet, had been married for 4 years, had never had a job other than hash-slinger at a college cafeteria, had completed only 1 semester of college before eloping to get married. I bet my folks would have liked to interfere, but I didn't give them the chance. I say leave Rachel alone. She is, as you say, all those things you said! She is much more experienced in real, out-there, world than I was. She can handle it.

By the way, very glad you have emerged once again. You have great emergence powers!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?