Thursday, March 08, 2007

Getting Wrankly Around the Edges


Being self-sufficient is a hard habit to break

Like Charlton Heston, I want to say "I'll give up my frying pan when they pry my cold, dead fingers off the handle!" That's what I'd like to say and that's how I feel. And if someone were to ask "How's that working for you?", I'd have to reply "Not worth a shit!".

Today I had to enlist the aid of Allie's mom Angela (and her spacious hatchback) to go out to Macy's Furniture and load up a large box containing a somewhat disassembled red leather reclining armchair. For Kay's office in Tracyton. The man at the loading dock and I managed to lift and shove the boxed item into her car. I left well behind Angela and expected her to get to Tracyton ahead of me. But I got there and there was no Angela.

My plan was that Angela and I (and Kay) would unpack it and carry the parts upstairs and then I would do the assembly. I knew that would leave me gasping for air, but ... whadaya gonna do?

About ten minutes later Angie and Allie pull into the driveway and right behind her is her boyfriend Charlie. They did the lifting and lugging and some assembly required. After they left I set to the task of slicing up the big cardboard box with my box knife. Half way through, I had to give it up because I was gasping for air. This was reality impinging on my delusionary work ethic.

I am definitely getting a little wrankly around the edges.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?